Originally posted on December 2, 2022 @ 10:12 am
In this article
What is Sexual Addiction?
Sexual addiction is a compulsive thought to participate in sexual activity. It is an excessive thought about sex and it can’t be controlled. It is also called hypersexuality, compulsive sexual behaviour, etc. Sexual addiction can lead to different mental health issues like depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, drug abuse etc
Sexual addictions include Pornography addiction and masturbation.
They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen. 26 That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved.romans 1:25-27
Signs and symptoms of Sexual Addiction
Every addiction has its own signs and symptoms that are pointers to it being diagnosed. If you are usually experiencing some of these signs, it could me you are addicted to sex.
- The constant thought of sex and sexual activity
- Habitual masturbation
- An uncontrollable urge for sex
- Obsessed with sex
- Inability to stop sexual activities despite its negative consequences
- Lustfully looking at other people and seeing them as a means to satisfy your sexual needs.
Consequences of sexual Addiction
All our choices have consequences or reward. The consequences or effects of sexual addiction include:
- Lack of healthy sexual life with a partner.
- Marital challenges
- It can lead to different kinds of mental issues like depression, OCD, etc.
- Most times sexual addiction opens doors to drug and substance abuse
- Emotional trauma and instability
- Shame, hopelessness and helplessness
- It can lead to a jail term for sexual offences
7 Tips to Overcome sexual Addiction
- Admit you need help as soon as possible. Stop telling yourself that you’ll stop or it will stop by itself. Admit to yourself that you need help and that you cannot do it alone.
- Reach out for help from a trusted friend, mentor, counsellor or medical personnel. Talk to someone who can help you and be open and honest about your sincere need for help. It is not shameful to ask for help; it rather shows courage and strength.
- Accept the salvation and love of Christ. Allow Jesus into your life. Let him stir the ship of your life.
- Allow God to dictate your day. Once you have truly accepted Jesus as your lord and saviour, allow the Holy Spirit to guide your day and lead you aright. He can surely help you to avoid all triggers of sexual sins.
- Install Adult content blockers on your phone. In these present times when seductive and pornographic materials are the other of the day, help yourself by installing adult content blockers on your browser. It saves you stress and pain.
- Make a covenant with your eyes not to lust after anyone. Decide you don’t want to lust after anyone no matter how beautiful or handsome they are. Avoid sexual fantasies.
- Fill your heart with Godly and Christian content. Delete erotic movies, songs, and images you have. Don’t forget to also destroy all the sexually appealing magazines, wallpapers, and journals.
- Have a regular quiet time with God
In Conclusion, I believe there is no addiction that God cannot cure ( including sexual Addiction). God is available and willing to help you give up the destructive lifestyle. Allow him to help you and surrender your life to him.