Table of Contents
Packing the hospital bag can be a little overwhelming, especially for first-time moms. This article will guide you through creating a perfect hospital delivery bag checklist.
Pregnancy is an emotional period in every woman’s life. The period of pregnancy has many emotional ups and downs. The days when you have that bizarre craving, to another time when you couldn’t even stand the smell of your best food!
When I was pregnant with my first daughter, I was confused. It was my first experience, and unfortunately, I didn’t have the privilege to relate with other moms before now. I sought opinions, and this left me more confused. I turned to the internet for answers, but I didn’t get the answers I needed. That experience motivated me to write this article: a complete hospital delivery bag checklist for Nigerian moms.
In Nigeria, hospitals usually give a list of things they expect you to bring to the hospital. This list is a guide to help you pack your delivery bag. If you have the list, you are good to go. If you do not have a list, I’ve got you covered.
When To Pack Your Hospital Delivery Bag
Packing your bags may seem impossible, I can assure you, it is an easy task. I usually advise that you start packing your bag in the 7th month of pregnancy. You can create a list of the things you want to take along and tick them as you put them in the bag. I advise that you get two bags, one will be for your baby while the other will be for you.
Hospital Delivery Bag Checklist for Baby
- Mucus Extractor
- Cotton Wool
- Methylated Spirit
- Baby Clothes (4 sets): A mum going for a caesarean section can take extra two sets. When buying your baby clothes, buy different sizes. Sometimes your baby may be more plum than you thought. Tall babies may have longer legs than your imagination.
- Baby Socks (4 pairs )
- Bibs (3pcs)
- Spoon and Cup
- Baby Body Cream ( I use Shea butter)
- Baby sponge
- Baby Soap
- Baby oil
- Soft Towel
- Baby Caps
- Napkins (soft)
- Disinfectant: Dettol or Purit
- Bleach: Jik or Hypo
- Baby Wipes
- Flannels or shawl for wrapping your baby
Hospital Delivery Bag checklist for Mother
- Sanitary Pads: Pack up to four packs
- Change of clothing: you may want to pack up to three of four sets. Pick clothes that are comfortable and free. If you are opting for a caesarean section, I advise you to pack more gowns for comfort. Don’t forget to pack something nice as your going home outfit.
Pants (7set): Some women prefer disposable pants; make sure you take what works for you. If you’re going for a caesarean section, buy pants that have free bands.
Bra: Select a good quality maternity bra, and keep in mind that your breast becomes bigger during breastfeeding. You can also get breast pads to prevent your bra from getting soaked with breastmilk.
- Something to eat: Consider including snacks that can help to reduce constipation or loosen your stool. These include oats, biscuits with high fibre, e.t.c. Do not forget to pack Beverages and sugar/honey; they sure come in handy.
- Toiletries: Sponge, Soap, Toothpaste, Toothbrush
- Flip flop
- Cup and Spoon ( please pick a cup with cover)
You can add more items to this list to suit your needs. Fashionista moms, please do not forget to take a powder, lip balm or lipstick, and other cosmetics. These things will come in handy when you are ready to go back home. You may also consider taking your phone charger or an extension box. a book can sometimes come in handy for that waiting period before active labour. I hope this article serves as a guide to help you create a perfect hospital delivery bag checklist.