to another [wonder-working] faith [is given] by the same [Holy] Spirit, and to another the [extraordinary] gifts of healings by the one Spirit;1 Corinthians 12:9
According to the dictionary, healing is making or becoming sound and healthy again. Anyone who has ever been sick will understand the true meaning of healing.
In this article
- 1 What is the Gifts of Healing?
- 2 Examples of Gifts of Healing in the Bible
- 3 Purpose of the Gift of Healing
- 4 How to Activate the Gift of Healing
- 5 Things to Note
What is the Gifts of Healing?
Gifts of healing is the ability to heal different illnesses or diseases. Believers with the spiritual gifts of healing can heal with the help of the Holy Spirit in ways beyond human comprehension. The Bible emphasises healing, every believer can lay hands on the sick and make them whole or on the dead, and they will receive their healing. Having the gift of healing is another dimension.
Numerous healings are a sign that follows whoever has the gift of healing. They may not have to pray or lay hands on people before they receive their healing. This gift is common among people called to be evangelists and it’s one of the power gifts desired by many.Gift of Working of miracles Gift of diverse kinds of tongues
Examples of Gifts of Healing in the Bible
The Bible has records of healing in both the Old and New Testaments, emphasizing that God wants us to be healed and made whole. The Bible notes this spiritual gift as “the gifts of healing” instead of “gift of healing”. It explains that healing is possible in different dimensions, which include; Physical, spiritual, emotional, and mental healing.
Example of Mental Healing in the Bible
An example of mental healing in the Bible is King Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel 4:25-35). He was mentally unstable, lost his mind, and lived like an animal for seven years. One day, he was healed and reinstated as the king of Babylon.
Example of Emotional Healing in the Bible
The LORD is near to the heartbroken And He saves those who are crushed in spirit (contrite in heart, truly sorry for their sin).Psalm 34:18
A case of emotional healing is the Bible is the story of Hannah. Hannah was a barren woman who sought the Lord in bitterness of soul, God healed her by giving her a child of her own. In the book of 2 Samuel chapter 2, Hannah was healed of her emotional turmoil and sang songs of praise to God.
Example of Spiritual Healing in the Bible
For if by the trespass of the one (Adam), death reigned through the one (Adam), much more surely will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in [eternal] life through the One, Jesus Christ.
18 So then as through one trespass [Adam’s sin] there resulted condemnation for all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to [d]all men. 19 For just as through one man’s disobedience [his failure to hear, his carelessness] the many were made sinners, so through the obedience of the one Man the many will be made righteous and acceptable to God and brought into right standing with Him.Romans 5:17-19
Jesus exemplifies the perfect example of spiritual healing. Man died spiritually when Adam and Eve ate the fruit in the Garden of Eden. Jesus came to die on the cross so that we may receive life and healing spiritually.
Examples of physical healing in the Bible
- The healing of the woman with the issue of blood. The woman with a 12-year issue of blood got her healing by touching the hem of Jesus’s garment (Luke 8:43-48).
- The crippled made whole by Apostle Paul. Apostle Paul healed a man who was crippled from birth (Acts 14:10).
- Naaman’s leprosy healed. Naaman was the commander of the army of Aram. He had influence and wealth, but he was a leper. He received his healing after obeying the instruction of Prophet Elisha (2 Kings 5:1-14).
- Healing the centurion’s servant. A certain centurion came to meet Jesus. He asked Jesus to heal his servant by speaking the word, and his servant was healed (Luke 7:1-10).
- Healing of the man at the beautiful gate. Peter healed a man who was crippled from birth by speaking the word of God (Acts 3:1-10).
- Jesus heals the ten lepers. Jesus met ten lepers on his way between Samaria and Galilee. They called out to him, and he healed them of leprosy (Luke 17:11-19).
It is important to note that healing is not performed by the person who spoke the word or laid hands. Healing only happen through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Purpose of the Gift of Healing
Every gift given to the church has a purpose. The purpose of this gift is listed below:
- Benefit the church.
- Show the acts of God.
- Free people from sicknesses and diseases.
- Serve as a sign for unbelievers.
- Bring more souls to Christ.
How to Activate the Gift of Healing
Activating the gift of healing is similar to activating every other spiritual gift. You can activate the gifts of healing by praying, regularly studying the Bible, listening to the Holy Spirit, and obeying the Holy Spirit. It is important to yield to the Holy Spirit whenever he asks you to pray for the sick or lay your hands on someone. Regularly yielding to the Holy Spirit increases your self-confidence.
Things to Note
- The gift of healing is not for self-exaltation or self-glorification. It is a gift given for the good of the church.
- You cannot heal everyone. We must understand that the gift of healing does not mean that you can automatically heal everyone. The Holy Spirit decides who to heal; we are only his vessel. (Luke 4:7)
In conclusion, the gift of healing is indeed very sought-after. It is vital for all believers, and the Bible encourages us to ask God for any gift we desire. If you want this gift, ask God today; I believe you will receive it.