Life often presents challenges and difficulties that test our faith and threaten to bring us down. I have experienced several of these challenging situations, and it is really difficult to praise God in hard times, but it is possible. In this article, I’ll share tips to praise God in hard times and biblical examples of people who praised God in difficult times..
In this article
- 1 What is praising God in hard times?
- 2 Why is faith important during difficult times?
- 3 The Power of Praise during Challenges
- 4 10 benefits of praising God during Challenges
- 5 People who praised God in difficult times in the Bible
- 6 How can we find reasons to praise God in difficult times?
- 7 Tips to help you worship God during Difficulty
- 8 Final Thoughts
What is praising God in hard times?
Praising God in hard times is acknowledging His sovereignty and goodness, even when circumstances are difficult and saddening. When we praise God when facing difficulty, we show our unwavering belief in God’s ability to deliver us from our challenges.
Why is faith important during difficult times?
Without our faith during difficult times, we will not believe in God’s ability to save and give us peace. Faith is a cornerstone in navigating life’s challenges. Believers must not let go of their faith in difficult times because our faith is the foundation of our beliefs.
The Power of Praise during Challenges
Praise is a powerful tool to shift our focus from the challenges and concentrate on the goodness of God. Praise shifts our focus from our hardships to the greatness of the One who can carry us through them. It offers a renewed outlook on life’s challenges.
Praise isn’t just a spiritual act commanded by God; it profoundly impacts our psychological and emotional well-being. It releases endorphins, reduces stress, and bolsters our resilience.
10 benefits of praising God during Challenges
- Spiritual Connection: Praising God brings a deeper spiritual connection with God. It nurtures our spiritual growth and helps us to grow deeper in God.
- Sense of Gratitude: We often focus on the things that are not working in our lives rather than those that are working. Praising God encourages gratitude for the blessings we have received and the challenges in life, giving us a positive outlook on situations around us.
- Stress and anxiety Reduction: Praise and worship can reduce stress, providing a sense of peace and comfort in difficult times.
- Increased Resilience: Praising God helps build emotional resilience, making navigating life’s ups and downs easier. We find it easier to face life’s challenges when we praise.
- Fosters Hope: Praising God in difficult times gives us hope and makes us optimistic about the future. It reminds us that God has a greater purpose for us.
- Improved Mental Health: Regularly praising God can improve mental health by reducing anxiety and depression and promoting a sense of purpose.
- Sense of Community: Worshiping with others can create a sense of community and belonging, helping us connect.
- Enhances Self-Reflection: We tend to reflect when we praise God. We remember the things he has done for us, how he has saved us multiple times previously.
- Encourages Acts of Kindness: People who praise God always feel inspired to help others and perform acts of kindness.
- Emotional Healing: praising God can be a source of emotional healing, helping us come to terms with past traumas and find closure in God.
People who praised God in difficult times in the Bible
Throughout the Bible, there are stories of individuals who turned to praise in the face of adversity. These people inspire us, and their victory over their challenges shows that God can be trusted.
The story of Job is a source of encouragement to every believer. Job was a very rich man who had more than enough. He was fervent and served God with utmost dedication, but one day, he lost all he had, including his children and good health. He was devastated and tempted to curse God, but he stood firm.
Job was still faithful to God and glorified God despite being sad and facing difficulty. God eventually restored everything Job had to him, including his children. If you are facing challenges, read the book of Job 1-42.
2. Paul and Silas in Prison Acts 16:16-40
Paul and Silas were imprisoned for preaching the gospel. They faced an uncertain future because of their faith, yet they continued to sing hymns of praise unto God. They sang songs of worship and praise to God, not minding their uncertain future.
Their worship caused an earthquake in the prison, showing the presence of God.
3. Abraham, when faced with barrenness
Abraham, as a patriarch of faith, is inspirational. He was childless for many years, yet he kept praising God and serving him dutifully. Abraham worshipped God through his faith and his unwavering faith. He is recognised as one of our fathers of faith.
How can we find reasons to praise God in difficult times?
I sincerely admit that gratitude in difficult times can be overwhelming. It takes the grace of the Holy Spirit to praise God when everything looks bleak, and life is difficult, but when we face our difficulty with thanksgiving, it renews our hope in God and gives us a different perspective.
When we praise, our difficulty becomes small, building strength and resilience. Recognising personal growth becomes a reason to praise God.
Reasons to praise God in difficulty
1. God’s Love and Faithfulness
One reason to praise God is his love and faithfulness to us. Over the years, I have discovered that facing difficulty doesn’t mean God is no longer faithful or kind. I have realised that even though I face challenges or difficulties, God is still faithful, and his love for me is unwavering; I only have to trust him.
2. God never fails
God does not fail; when we remember he is consistent and never failing, we will find it easier to thank and appreciate him because we know he has great plans for us.
3. Our future is secured in God
We have a future God has already predestined; we only have to follow him and obey his instructions. God has us covered by grace, and we should always remember that he has us covered.
When we read Jer 29:11, we fail to read the previous verses to understand what the Israelites were facing before God gave them that word of encouragement. Always remember that God has your best interest at heart.
Tips to help you worship God during Difficulty
I understand that it can be a daunting task to worship God in difficulty. In this section, I will share some tips that can help you praise God during difficulty and keep in mind that these are things that I have tried, and they have worked for me.
- Prayer: Prayer is a way of communicating with God. Engage in heartfelt prayers, pouring your concerns, hopes, and gratitude to God. Prayer is a channel to express our emotions, doubts, and fears, facilitating a deeper connection with God.
- Study Scriptures: The scripture is my go-to place when facing difficulty. I pray to God for an anchor scripture to guide me; many times, God gives me a scripture that inspires me to face challenges and assures me of God’s unfailing love and inspiring gratitude. Try Reading and meditating on the scriptures for wisdom, guidance, and comfort. I also read Psalms of praise unto God. Here are 52 Bible verses about praising God in difficult times.
- Praise and Worship: Sing praise and worship songs to connect with God on a deeper level. Music is a Means of Expressing Emotions; music holds the extraordinary power to express emotions that words alone cannot convey. Worship songs become vessels for praising God. Singing worship and hymns is a healing balm for the soul. During the turmoil, it provides solace and comfort. I have formed a habit of singing hymns to God; it helps me pour out my gratitude and inspires praise.
- Gratitude Journal: Journaling is a great way to activate gratitude. Keep a gratitude journal to acknowledge the blessings of God in your life. Whenever you are faced with difficulties, go through this journal and let it be a reminder of the faithfulness of God.
- Share with Others: Connect with fellow believers to share experiences and find support. When we share our experiences and challenges with others, we often find comfort and reasons to thank God. Engage in fellowship with a supportive community to share and pray together.
- Serve Others: Engage in acts of kindness and service to those in need. Serving others brings a sense of responsibility and helps shift our focus to the things that matter. Encourage and uplift others in their faith journey, which can help strengthen your own.
- Fasting: Consider fasting to deepen your spiritual connection and seek guidance during tough times.
- Count Your Blessings: List your blessings and focus on what you have rather than what you lack.
- Faith Declarations: Recite affirmations and declarations of faith to reinforce your trust in God.
- Surrender: Let go of the need to control everything and surrender to God’s will.
- Remember Past Victories: Recall instances where God helped you through difficulties as a source of strength and hope.
Worshipping and praising God during difficult times can be very challenging. I remember experiencing multiple miscarriages; I was pained and felt God never loved me. There were many times I thought about God being unjust, but I found solace in the word of God. I sometimes read bible verses that inspire me to praise God, and they help me.
I have three children today and am even afraid of having more. God is always on time; he is never late. Whenever we feel things are not going smoothly and properly, turning to praise can help us find relief and comfort in difficult times. This article will inspire you to praise God and keep your faith.